Lewisham council is holding a public information event on the Windrush Compensation Scheme which has now been extended for a further two years.
The Home Office has said it is making the scheme more flexible for those who have suffered losses as a result of past government mistakes.
Anyone affected will now be able to apply for compensation until 2 April 2023.
The scheme was rolled out to help those who came legally to work in Britain from the Caribbean after the Second World War but were never given official immigration status and then faced deportation or refused health care.
Lewisham says the compensation scheme is for people from the Commonwealth living in the UK who are worried about their right to stay here.
Official figures show that since April 2019, when the scheme became operational, until the end of the year, there had been 1,108 claims, with just 36 payouts so far totalling £62,198.
Campaigners have branded compensation to victims of the Windrush scandal as “paltry”.
The information event will be held on Tuesday February 11 from 5.00-7.00pm at the Council Chamber, Civic Suite, Lewisham Town Hall, Catford SE6 4RU.
The event is open to all members of the public. It is aimed at individuals, community leaders, charities and support groups affected by Windrush.
It will offer practical information on the scheme and support on how to make a claim.
There is a dedicated helpline on Freephone 0800 678 1925 or email WindrushCompensationScheme@homeoffice.gov.uk.
For a full list of what the compensation is for go ot www.gov.uk/windrush-compensation